OUR 10TH YEAR OF SERVICE
TO THE CITY OF BETHLEHEM, BETHLEHEM AND HANOVER TOWNSHIPS AND THE BOROUGHS OF FOUNTAIN HILL, FREEMANSBURG AND HELLERTOWN

Phone: 610-625-2121 FAX: 610-625-2126 gtaylor@tnonline.com

Tuesday, June 11, 2019


June 12, 2019

COVER STORY

Honoring Mayor Pfeife

For a number of years, Richard Stiles has been on a mission to have one-time Bethlehem Mayor Robert Pfeifle honored with a memorial. Pfeifle served as mayor of Bethlehem from 1930 to 1950, longer than any other mayor in the city’s history, and Stiles was married to Pfeifle’s granddaughter, June, who passed away in 2012. On May 31 a 450- pound granite and bronze memorial was dedicated by Mayor Bob Donchez on the Bethlehem Greenway at Webster Street, little more than a block away from where the Pfeifle residence stood at one time on Webster Street. Photo:Family and descendants of Mayor Robert Pfeifle gather around the memorial for a group photo to commemorate the dedication.

By Dana Grubb

 

GRADUATION-BETHLEHEM CATHOLIC

‘Appreciate our differences’

“Stay close,” the 182 graduates in the class of 2019 were told at Bethlehem Catholic HS’s graduation, June 5 at the high school auditorium. During his Invocation, school chaplain Rev. Kevin Bobbin urged graduates to stay close to the school, to each other and to God.  A prayer in the graduation program told the graduates of how much the school community celebrates their achievements. Photo: All eyes are toward the front as graduates go up to receive their diplomas.  There were a total of 177 students receiving diplomas from the class of 2019.

By Michelle Meeh and Mark Kirlin

 

GRADUATION-LIBERTY HS

‘Understanding our part’

Liberty HS had its 97th commencement exercise at a nearly packed Stabler Arena June 5, as a festive, sometimes raucous crowd cheered and blared an occasion noise horn. According to officials, 631 students earned their high school diplomas. “The students did a good job,” said Dr. Jack Silva, assistant superintendent for education and chief academic officer.  “They are a strong group of kids.” Photo: Class of 2019 graduates Rachel Byrne, Dianna Depalma, Megan Bittle and Avalon Kratzer gather for a photo prior to commencement. They will attend Moravian College, the University of Scranton, the University of Delaware and Lycoming College, respectively.

By Douglas Graves and Dana Grubb

 

GRADUATION-FREEDOM HS

‘We’re the solution’

It was difficult to reconcile the ebullient atmosphere with the event’s theme. Freedom HS’s commencement at Stabler Arena June 6 was by and large electric and rarely affected by the gravity of “Pursuing Discomfort and Embracing Change.” Each speaker stressed challenges the new graduates would soon be facing in the adult world, while celebrating the many accomplishments they’d already achieved. Perhaps the most obvious and most often mentioned was the new American Sign Languages course, the fruits of which were on display as the chorus collectively signed along while singing the national anthem and alma mater. Photo: Seven seniors of Freedom HS’s 501 member graduating class are in a very relaxed mood heading into commencement held at Stabler Arena on June 6.

By Nate Jastrzemski and Dana Grubb

 

GRADUATION-NOTRE DAME

‘Follow your conscience’

Notre Dame Green Pond’s class of 2019 graduated June 6 in an outdoor ceremony at the school’s football stadium. They were graced by sunny skies, a hovering drone and the occasional firecracker. There were 121 graduates, accompanied by at least 500 friends and family, celebrating the end of one journey and the beginning of another. The Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Allentown always attends every Catholic high school graduation in this area, and this was no exception. But Bishop Alfred A. Schlert had a very good reason for making sure he was at Notre Dame. That’s because he’s a Notre Dame Crusader himself. He graduated in 1979 and groaned that his commencement took place inside a sweltering gym.Photo: As is tradition, the students toss their morter boards in the air at the conclusion of the ceremony.  Of the 125 graduating students, 51 received an award and or scholarship.

By Bernie O’Hare and Mark Kirlin

 

SPORTS

LV boys ready for Cup play

The Lehigh Valley Carpenter Cup is set to take the field this week when they open up play on Wednesday, June 12, at 12:30 p.m. against Suburban One American/ Continental. The game comes after Press deadlines. This year’s roster 25 players, 16 of which are underclassmen. Liberty’s Ben Piripavel and Freedom’s Nick Stannard and Conor Howland are the local Bethlehem representatives on the squad. A win by the LV squad in the opener would push them to the quarterfinal round on June 14.

By Peter Car

 

FOCUS

Their time to shine

City Arts Camp, a collaboration of the Allentown Art Museum, The Baum School of Art, Civic Theatre of Allentown, Community Music School, Miller Symphony Hall and Repertory Dance Theatre, provides students a fun and exciting experience in art, dance, music and theater. The six established arts and cultural organizations came together 21 years ago to create a week of artistic exploration for children, providing an interdisciplinary, comprehensive introduction to the arts, while inspiring them to discover their creativity.

By Erin Ferguson

 

OTHER STORIES

Bethlehem: Council approves $700K to update pool

Bethlehem: District observes academic signing day

Bethlehem: City marks EMS Wrrk with ceremony

Bethlehem: Kemerer Museum’s tiny neighborhood

Lehigh Valley: Art students get Congressional kudos

Northampton County: Gracedale again cited by Pa. DOH

Saucon Valley: Elementary gains new principal

South Bethlehem: Museum holding Corliss engine encore this weekend

Student profiles – Holly Peslis, Bethlehem Catholic

High school news reports – LV Academy by IsabellaTrauger

 

WEEKLY FEATURES

Around Town community calendar

Area obituaries

Center for Animal Health and Welfare

Volunteers

 

MEET THE PRESS





The Bethlehem Press online

Where to buy the Bethlehem Press

To subscribe: New start

Send news to the Bethlehem Press

To advertise: Ad staff

Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter







 

3 comments:

  1. HOW DR IMOLOA HERBAL MEDICINE HELPED ME GET RID OF MY 3 YEARS HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS. Hello everyone my name is DONALD am from the united states i have been suffering from (HERPES) disease since 2016 and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulate all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B and Cancer) by this Man Dr Imoloa and she also gave the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr imoloa telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as the Doctor assured me that i have been cured,after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have been finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advise is, if you have such sickness or any other at all like hepatitis A,B,C,CANCER,HPV,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES 1 AND 2,SMALL PENIS PROBLEM ,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE SYPHILIS, WEAK ERECTION,BREAST ENLARGEMENT AND many more ....... you can email him on drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com) or whatsapp him on +2347081986098. Sir, i am indeed grateful for the help i will forever be grateful for the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never give up in life they all say no cure to HSV 2 which is a big lie I have pass through many process also i never believe there is really cure to HERPES until I meet Dr.Emmanuel the doctor that have been helping many people for many years, I come across this doctor online when I was searching for cure online I found out about this man, and to my greatest surprise this man have the herbal medicine which I have been looking for years I explain my problem to him through the email I found on someone who testify about him also, Dr.Emmanuel write me a reply and explain how the process work so after ordering for the medicine I got it within 4 days and I took it according to the way Dr.Emmanuel instructed, I was so happy after two week I took the medicine there was very big change in my health when I was done with the process I go for test, I found out I am negative that was the day I have the tears of joy you can also get in contact with my doctor through his email now nativehealthclinic@gmail.com or you can also WhatsApp him +2348140073965. And He a lso have herbs medicine to cured the following diseases; eczema,urethra wart,chronic problems.Herpes, Cancer, Als,Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV,Infections,ulcer  ETC 

      Delete
  2. Never give up in life they all say no cure to HSV 2 which is a big lie I have pass through many process also i never believe there is really cure to HERPES until I meet Dr.Emmanuel the doctor that have been helping many people for many years, I come across this doctor online when I was searching for cure online I found out about this man, and to my greatest surprise this man have the herbal medicine which I have been looking for years I explain my problem to him through the email I found on someone who testify about him also, Dr.Emmanuel write me a reply and explain how the process work so after ordering for the medicine I got it within 4 days and I took it according to the way Dr.Emmanuel instructed, I was so happy after two week I took the medicine there was very big change in my health when I was done with the process I go for test, I found out I am negative that was the day I have the tears of joy you can also get in contact with my doctor through his email now nativehealthclinic@gmail.com or you can also WhatsApp him +2348140073965. And He a lso have herbs medicine to cured the following diseases; eczema,urethra wart,chronic problems.Herpes, Cancer, Als,Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV,Infections,ulcer  ETC 

    ReplyDelete